University of California, San Diego
Mail Code #0401
9500 Gilman Dr.
La Jolla, CA, 92093-0401
Biography of Frank E Talke
Professor Talke received a Diplom-Ing. degree from the University of Stuttgart, Germany in 1965 and M.Sc. and Ph.D. degrees from the University of
California, Berkeley in 1966 and 1968, respectively. From 1969 through 1986, he was working at the IBM Research and Development Laboratories in San
Jose, CA , and in 1984 he spent one year as a guest professor at the University of California, Berkeley. He is the author of more than 240 publications and
holds 11 US patents. His research interests are in the areas of the head/disk and head/tape interface, tribology, mechanical design related to magnetic
recording technology, and high precision instrumentation. Dr. Talke accepted a position as an Endowed Chair Professor at CMRR effective March, 1986.
Prof. Talke was elected a member of the National Academy of Engineering in 1999.
Mechanics and Tribology
The focus of Prof. Talke's work is in the areas of tribology, precision engineering and instrumentation development as well as mechanical design and
modeling. Research is conducted both in the areas of hard disk and flexible media technology. Projects currently under way are:
Slider dynamics and contact force
Mechanical scaling laws for small form factor disk drives
Shock test modeling of a hard disk drive using hyper-mesh and ls-dyna
Investigation of wear of proximity recording sliders
Intermolecular force measurement and simulation
Improvements in the pre- and post- processing software for finite element based air bearing simulation
Lubrication studies for proximity recording
Carbon nano-tube research for patterned media application
Tape edge wear
Development of tape tension transducer
Measurement of cross-track motion of magnetic tapes
Lubricant diffusivity on metal evaporated tapes
- L. Zhou and F. E. Talke., "Dynamics of Textured Pico-Sliders During Contact Start/Stop", IEEE Trans. Magn. 39, No. 5 (2003).
- E. M. Jayson, F. E. Talke and P. W. Smith. "Shock Modelling of the Head-Media Interface in an Operational Hard Disk Drive", IEEE Trans. Magn. 39, No. 5 (2003).).
- J. Zhang, A. V. Hanke and F. E. Talke. "A Comparison of Genetic Algorithm and Subregion Approach in the Optimization of Slider Bearing for Sub-7nm Flying Height", IEEE Trans. Magn., 39, 5 (2003).
- S. K. Deoras and F. E. Talke. "Slider-Lubricant Interactions for Low Flying Sliders", IEEE Trans. Magn. 39, No. 5 (2003).
- A. V. Hanke and F. E. Talke. "A New Universal Approach for Slider Optimization", ASME/STLE Special Publication (2002).
- S. Yonemura, L. Zhou and F. E. Talke. "An Investigation of Slider Vibrations in Near Contact Recording Using a Digital Laser Doppler Vibrometer", Journal of Tribology, 125, 571-575 (2003).
- S. Kilian, U. Zander and F. E. Talke. "Suspension Modeling and Optimization Using Finite Element Analysis", Tribology International 36, Issues 4-6, 317-324 (2003).
Last updated on September 20th, 2011